Mrs. Campagna's Class

A mind is like a parachute, it only works when open. -Frank Zappa

Gummi Science Experiment

on October 20, 2014

22742-Gummi-BearsWell it turns out that Gummi Bears are not only a tasty treat, but they also can be a fun topic for science experiments!  Last week, we completed our Gummi Bear Experiment.  We have been learning about some Science vocabulary such as hypothesis, data, variables, observation, experiment, and classifying.  We put those vocabulary words into action as we each created a hypothesis. We learned that a good hypothesis is a statement that can be tested with an experiment. We also learned that a strong hypothesis will follow the pattern  “If…….  then…… because…..”  such as “If I leave my Gummi Bears in water overnight then they will get smaller because the sugar will dissolve and disappear.”  We discussed in small groups our reasoning based on what we knew about gummis- that they are made of food coloring, gelatin and sugar .  We also based our hypotheses on our own background knowledge. 

We found that the Gummi Bears did in fact get bigger overnight . We also observed that the color changed.  How did the color change when we left the gummis in water overnight?

Was your hypothesis correct or not?

Check out the videos/photos  below to see the process.

photo 1 photo 2

11 Responses to “Gummi Science Experiment”

1. izzyn2014 says:

Dear Mrs. Campagna,
    I read the post and just wanted to say can you go to my blog and check out my new post. itook a lot of time on it and it’s about my favorite athlete.

con amor,
    Izzy

2. lukep says:

Dear Mrs. Campanga,

The gummy bear experiment was really fun. My hypothesis was right my hypothesis was the colors would get lighter in color. P. S great paragraph.

Con amor,
    Luke P.

3. Mrs. Campagna says:

Dear Luke,

Thanks for the compliment! It was a fun experiment! I can’t wait for the next one. Doesn’t the photograph of the gummis in the post make you hungry ? ha. I’m glad your hypothesis was correct. What was most interesting was that even if someone’s hypothesis was not correct, they still had to think deeply and reason about why it might make sense. You know we love that critical thinking! Have a good night.

Love,
    Mrs. C.

4. saml2012 says:

Dear mrs campagna,
    I just thought of doing a great post I have had a good time at OFIS

Sam vallejo

• Dear Sam Lawrence ( can I still call you that? ! Or have you grown out of it ? 🙂

It is so good to hear from you! I love having your sister in our class. She is just as fun to talk to and just as hard of a worker as you were. Did you create your post yet? If so I will send some of our students to your blog. You better do your best though if I use you as an example! (ha) I am glad to hear you are enjoying O.F.I.S. What is your favorite thing about being there?
      Love,
      Mrs. Campagna

5. Kelly Strang says:

Hi Mrs. Campagna,
    It’s Kelly 4th grade is so cool!! I really miss you! Those kids seem so fun that you get to do things with gummy bears!!

Love,
    Kelly

• Querido Kelly!

How are you my dear? It is so good to hear from you! I am glad you are having a fantastic 4th grade year. I had no doubt that you would! This was a new experiment for me AND the students . 🙂 It was really neat to watch them grow the longer they soaked. Come back to visit the blog any time and let us know what you are doing in 4 th grade.

Love,
      Mrs. C.

6. calebe2014 says:

Dear mrs.Beltram(Campagna)
    This is Mikayla. I like reading your class blog from Calebs site. Have you guys had your first bank day yet?
    Miss you,
    Mikayla Ellis
    P.S-im not used to calling you Mrs. Campagna yet:)

• Mrs. Campagna says:

Hi Mikayla!
      It is so good to hear from you! It is okay if you still think of me as Miss Beltram. :). I was Miss Beltram to myself for 30 years, so I still get confused sometimes! Ha how are you? I always try to get updates from your mom. I love having your brother in class. You are so similar and yet different. You know I can’t get enough of the Ellis Family, especially when they work as hard as you always did and how hard Caleb works now!! It makes my job that much more fun. We had our first Bank Day a few weeks ago. Thank goodness your mom and dad were there to help! You may remember that the first few take some time for the kids to really understand how it works. They will get the hang of it though. How are things going for you? I understand that you are busy, busy! When you get time, I’d love to know what you are reading right now, something really interesting you are learning in school, and what you favorite hobbies are right now. I miss you too.
      Love ,
      Mrs. C.