Mrs. Campagna's Class

A mind is like a parachute, it only works when open. -Frank Zappa

Crystals and Books

on March 28, 2014

Many students requested a recipe to make crystals and although I searched online, I didn’t see any that I really loved and thought would be super easy to make at home. Here is a link to one that I found , in case you would like to try it this weekend. If you do, take photos so that we can put them on your blog!

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/26598-make-your-own-crystals

What have you all been doing over break? I have been very busy, but one goal I had was to read a few books that I thought you all would like. So far, the books I have read are The Golden Door, Princess Academy, and Kiri-Kiri. Next I plan to read The Phantom Tollbooth, which I read at some point when I was younger, but I completely forgot what it was about! You know that I love to reread books anyway, so I am excited to start.

The Golden Door is a story of adventure and of a boy realizing his true potential. Nick first introduced me to the book and then Connor picked it up and was excited about it also, I just knew I had to read it!

the-golden-door

The Princess Academy is a neat story about a girl from a small mountain town that discovers a new world and new possibilities when she learns to read. She begins to understand what her true path could be in life through a series of challenges.
pacad

Kiri-Kiri is a story of two Japanese girls growing up in Georgia in the 1950’s. My students will remember that this was a time when African-Americans and white people were segregated, or separated. If you can imagine, two Japanese girls would have had some similar experiences to African-Americans during that time in the South. I am only about half-way through this book, so I am interested to see where it leads.

kiri

All of these books are challenging and well-written stories. I would encourage you to find them at your local library or in our classroom library when we get back to school!

Have you read any good books over break? Write a comment below and tell us about them. Maybe your suggestion will be the next book I read.

One Response to “Crystals and Books”

1. Kelly Strang says:

That looks really cool I want to make some crystals!