Mrs. Campagna's Class

A mind is like a parachute, it only works when open. -Frank Zappa

Painting a Chevron Pattern = Crazy Math Skills!

on February 19, 2014

Whew! Well, I don’t know what my students did on their snowy day off, but I decided I would tackle a painting project I had been wanting to try. I decided I wanted to paint a chevron pattern on one wall of our spare bedroom.

This is a chevron pattern:

chevron

I know no idea what a mathematical journey I was about to embark on! I decided to take short videos of each step of the process so that you, my lovely students, could see an example of just one way that we encounter all the things that we are learning in math in our everyday lives. This was tough! I had to really persevere!

Watch the videos below and see if you can tell me all the different examples of math that we have learned so far this year in just this one project (which took me all day by the way! ).

When you finish you can see a picture of the almost finished project.

video 1

After all the lines were drawn…
photo 3

I had to tape all the lines…
11

Stay tuned for the finished project!

16 Responses to “Painting a Chevron Pattern = Crazy Math Skills!”

1. Elisa Waingort says:

Wow! What an awesome project! I can’t wait to hear the responses from students to the question, where’s the math?

• avav2014 says:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Kelly Strang says:

Dear Mrs. Campagna,
    Those videos were awesome! These are the problems that you gave us 93 divided by 2 = 46.5 and the second one was 151.5 divided by 2 = 13.75. That looks awesome after the chevron pattern. I hope it looks awesome after it is done it looks good right now!

3. Kelly Strang says:

Thank you Elisa the problems are 93 divided by 2 = 46.5 and the second is 151.5 divided by 2 = 73.75. Thanks for commenting on our class blogs !!!

4. Katie Klammre says:

That has lots of math in it. I love the design on it. It mest be tell hard. My mom said that you left her hanging , she said that she want to see your work. It looks fun and funner that it has math in it so you can learn and be crafty. It seems a Kyeel craft.

5. ian says:

that is so cool I tried doing it but it was way too hard but I found 2*93 I couldn’t answer that. Then I saw 2*151.5 still way too hard. I reaaly like division. 🙂

6. ian says:

that is so cool I tried doing it but it was way too hard but I found 2*93 I couldn’t answer that. Then I saw 2*151.5 still way too hard. I realy like division. 🙂

7. ian says:

the four things I found was measuring, fractions, angles and division

8. mollyc2013 says:

I found each one ! They are divison fations angles mesorment!

9. hannahf2013 says:

1of the things is division 2angles 3fractions 4 measuring I cant believe I found the four things im so proud of my self I also rely like the destine:)

10. aashish says:

when I was watching the video I found that division ,angels ,fractions and measurement is same as math.

11. Connor says:

In the video of the chevron painting the uses of math were division facts like 93.5/2 and 151.5/2. Angles like the acute, obtuse, and right angle. Measurement and fractions.

12. Sean Gillette says:

I found all four! They were measurement, division, angles and fractions. Good job Mrs. Campagna 🙂

13. ianw2013 says:

wow half the class found them well… 8 people:)

14. avav2014 says:

GINE PIG!!!!!