Mrs. Campagna's Class

A mind is like a parachute, it only works when open. -Frank Zappa

Monitoring Our Understanding

on December 18, 2012

We just finished reading , “When Jessie Came Across the Sea” . This was a beautifully written book about one fictional character’s journey across the sea to America. On our student blogs, each student will be writing a blog post about this book and responding to these prompts:

In the book, they called American “The Promised Land”. Why did they call it that?

We have been focusing on Monitoring our Understanding as a strategy for becoming stronger readers. What strategies did you use as I read the book. Please give at least two specific examples as they relate to the text.
Add the image of the book to your post!

Check out what the students have to say to demonstrate their learning! I am sure we will see some amazing responses!

10 Responses to “Monitoring Our Understanding”

1. Elisa Waingort says:

Hello Mrs. Campagna’s class!
    I can’t wait to read some of your responses to the question posed above. I haven’t read the book but I can think of a couple of reasons why this book the US might be called “the Promised Land”. I’ll wait to read some of your comments before I post a response. Will the responses be posted here or only on the students’ personal blogs?
    Cheers!

2. mallory says:

Dear Mrs. Campagna,
    When I was on my blog last night I went to edit one of my posts and when I wentback to my blog at least all of my widgets were gone. Now I have to redo most all of them.

Mallory

3. sams2012 says:

dear Mrs campanga,
    I have great news i have my frst bloging buddie!Also how do you get your bloging buddie on your blog.

Please show me!,
    sams

• Mrs. Campagna says:

Hi Sam,

I’m so excited you have an official blogging buddy! Way to go! You will have to tell us all about him/her tomorrow. In order to start a list of “blogging buddies” first go to your dashboard. Click on your dashboard, then click on links. Here you can creat a category like ” Blogging Buddy” you will have to play around, and experiment . I believe this is where you can add the links . Let me know what you find. If you can’t figure it out, we’ll work on it tomorrow!

Good luck!
      Love ,
      Mrs. Campagna

4. sams2012 says:

Dear Mrs Campanga,
    thanks for telling me.Also where did you get the widget that snow is coming down. Tell me what web site it is.

your sudent,
    Sam Sobey

5. sams2012 says:

Dear Mrs Campanga,
    I put a lot of new posts on my blog i hope you look at them. Sam’s awesome blog!!!!!!!

Sams

6. saml says:

Dear Mrs.campagna,
    my brother told me they said on the news that the world was going to end toaday do you think that please tell me on my blog@ http://saml2012.edublogs.org/

7. Sam S. says:

dear saml
    the word isn’t going to end

8. Omar Kabra says:

Couple weeks are class red a book named. When Jessie came across the sea. There was a girl named Jessie. She lived with her grand mother they. were poor but one guy came and told Jessie you must come on the boat with us. She did not want to she started crying a little bit. So she went on the boat she waved her grandmother goodbye so when they arrived there she saw the statue of liberty so when she got there she got her room then she started writing letters for her grand mother then she wanted to marry someone so she told her grandmother I want to marry the guy so she checked with her grandmother. she said I want to see him first so that is what happened. When Jessie came across the see from Omar.

9. Mr. vallejo says:

Dear Mrs Campagna,
    Samlawrence forgot his homewoork at school but he did a dictionary work all ready